On the Ice Cap Hiking expedition we will take the same route that Alfred Wegener, a famous polar researcher, took when he explored Greenland. You will sleep on top of the inland ice with incredible views, visit historical places, eat Greenlandic food, meet local people, and spend the night with them learning about their lifestyle.
June – August
Acommodation & Meals
- All meals
- Guesthouse accommodation in Uummannaq
- Hut accommodation in Ukkusissat
- Camping accommodation in two person tents (includes sleeping bags)
- Sailing tour and guided visit in Ukkusissat and Qaamarujuk
- Guided visit in Appat (old settlement) and Maarmorilik (old mining place)
- Guided hike to the Ice Cap and Inland Ice
- City walk in Uummannaq and hike to Santa’s summer house
- Local guide
- Tranportation during the entire tour from and to Uummannaq
- Garmin inReach Tracker
- VHF Radio
SAILING AND SETTLEMENT VISIT
We’ll start our trip sailing from Uummannaq to Ukkusissat. In the way we will make a stop in Appat (old settlement) and have lunch there. Upon our arrival to Ukkusissat we will sightsee around with a local guide and visit the place where you can collect “ukkusissat” (soapstone). To finish our first day we’ll have dinner with the locals and share amazing stories with them.
old mining visit
The next day we will start by sharing breakfast with the locals and learning about their lifestyle. Then, we will sail towards Qaamarujuk, but first will make a stop on the way, visit Maarmorilik (the old mining place) and have lunch there.
DAY 2 (2)
ice cap hiking
When we arrive to Qaamarujuk, we will hike up to the ice cap and have dinner there. After dinner, we will continue our tour with a small hike on the Inland Ice where we will spend the night in a tent pitched in an area protected from the wind and cold.
HIKE AND CITY TOUR IN UUMMANNAQ
After we wake up, we’ll get ready to sail back to Uummannaq. We will have lunch there, go for a city walk and hike to Santa Claus’s summer house. To finish the tour you’ll be invited to share an amazing dinner with the locals.